Cattistock Header

Click Here
HOME
| WHAT'S ON | SUMMER FETE | OPEN GARDENS | COMMUNITY FUND | KNOB THROWING | CRICKET CLUB | TENNIS CLUB | SAVILL HALL
CATTISTOCK HUNT | PICTURES | HISTORY | ACCOMMODATION | LINKS

St Peter and St Paul Church is a truly magnificent Church building
that is visible from miles around.

St Peter & St Paul Church

The church of Saints Peter and Paul dates from the 15th century but virtually all that remains from this date is the north and south trancept.  Most of the remaining parts of the church were rebuilt in 1857 at the cost of the rector Rev. H Still.
Most of the church was rebuilt in the late nineteenth century, the architects being Sir George Gilbert Scott and his son George Gilbert Scott, Jr. The son was responsible for the tall Perpendicular-styled tower, apparently modelled on the 15th century tower at Charminster. Pevsner comments (pp. 130-131) that
"for the mid to late C19, this is the masterpiece among Dorset churches."
Before 1940, Cattistock had a carillon of 35 bells. Raven (1904, p. 35) said that 33 of the bells were cast in Louvain (Leuven) by Severin van Aerschodt between 1872 and 1882, two by his son Felix in 1899. The ringing peal was installed in 1882, the carillon being installed much later and dedicated on the 1st June 1899. Unfortunately, the carillon and tower were destroyed by fire in September 1940 and, although the damaged parts of the tower were restored, the carillon itself was never replaced. Instead, a completely new ring of eight bells (by the Whitechapel foundry) was installed in 1950.

St Peter and St Pauls’s Church celebrates its Patronal weekend with a Flower Festival and organ recital.
The Church is open to visitors from
10 o’clock on 1st July with Church events closing at 6.00 on Sunday with a Pimms and Hymns Service in the Church – all very welcome to come and  celebrate with us.

       
  St Peter & St Paul interior   The William Morris Window

For more information about the history go to: www.cattistock.info or www.dorset-churches.org.uk
For more information about the Ministry go to: www.melburyteam.co.uk

BACK TO HOME PAGE